Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Language School and My Childish Meltdown

So my first week is down. It was a lot of fun really. There were 6 of us in the class this week.  Charlotte and Sophie are young American girls. Yes, well they are all young. But that's to be expected. Charlotte is from Rhode Island and Sophie is from Philly.  Then there is David from France and Stefanio from the Netherlands.  Finally, Gustavo from Berlin, who grew up in Brooklyn. He's a bit older thankfully.  5 of us have US passports.
David, Stefanio, Charlotte and me
A lot of discussion this week why the Argentines don't particularly like Americans.  I learned that the USA had a treaty with Argentina to defend them against any foreign invasion (Rio Treaty).  Should I have known about the Rio Treaty? I just remember Argentina being the aggressor. Anyway, consequently, Argentina felt abandoned when the USA gave military support to Britain. But also, they also felt bitter that their brothers and fathers were sent to war for a military dictatorship that often turned on their own people, didn't provide them with proper military equipment and would often execute their own.  But apart from that, the Argentines just don't seem to like Americans.

Class is from 9 am to 1 pm with the group.

My Childish Meltdown

I have a one-on-one with another teacher in the afternoon for an hour. His name is Martín.  We didn't get on very well at first. Well, I didn't. When I met him, my Inside Voice.....you know that Spoilt Little Child Voice....said to me " I don't like him and I have no idea why" and "Omigod, do I HAVE TO spend the next 3 weeks with you every afternoon?".  Not to be too unkind, but he had a very off -putting stare and eyes as big as saucers.  I think the expression is he "weirded me out".  So the conversation dried up and the poor guy just kept asking me question after question, like a bad job interview. A one-way train wreck. Not quite as bad as a spoilt child giving one word answers, but close enough.  To make it worse, I even ended the class 15 minutes early ("Mommy, I want to go home" - such an ass, I was).  But you know, sometimes you can't help yourself.  Anyway, I was all mature and stuff (sic) the next day and everything was fine.  I'm getting a new teacher next week though. He broke the news to me on Friday. I duly put on my Sad Face. Yeah! He must have asked for the change. I bet he didn't like me either....

Post script. Got a new teacher this week. Much better!





1 comment:

  1. brilliant and very honest Brendan...love it!

    ReplyDelete