Friday, June 20, 2014

Cartagena, Colombia (June 14-18)

Cartagena is unlike any other city in Colombia. It's a Caribbean city with the most charming and beautiful colonial historic district within the "Walled City". The beaches are terrible though. I had to take a boat one day to one of the islands to get a decent spot for swimming and sun bathing.  This is the last stop on my Mid-Life Crisis Big Adventure South American Tour.  I had debated with myself for about a week whether or not to go to Tayrona National Park, but in the end, I decided against it because of the prospect of a long hike to the beach in the intense heat and all the talk of mosquitoes.  I opted for four days  relaxation instead. In Cartagena. 




Below are some photos of the old town. 

















Castillo de San Felipe is a fortress built in 1657 by the Spanish for protection against pirates while shipping gold out to Europe. 








Adventure over!!!
Provincetown, Fire Island, Italy, Spain, etc. next...

No comments:

Post a Comment