Thursday, April 10, 2014

Montañita, Ecuador

This place is a gem. Known as a bit of a party town because it has surfers and pot, it's a free wheeling place, and thankfully underdeveloped; which gives it it's charm. The best ceviche can be found on the street in one of the many ceviche carts.  The place is buzzing at night with musicians, street entertainers and hawkers. One of the streets from the beach is lined with carts (street vendors) selling nothing but cocktails. At dusk, the surfers are still out there giving it their last. Then night falls on the beach, and there is a beautiful darkness between the lights of the town and it's reflection on the waves; the glitter on the sea. In that space, you find small groups, or couples sitting there in the darkness, quietly talking or saying nothing. Maybe they are stoned. Maybe not. But there is something special about the moment. Further up, there is an open air cinema on the beach.  "Admission" is free and has its own pop corn stand. Beer is sold. This was my favorite. I stayed only two nights. I have a feeling I might be back, and if I don't, I'm so glad I was here. 









No comments:

Post a Comment